Oh Yeah, Oh Yeah!
I’m not going to be evangelical about not drinking - it’s all about choice and whatever makes you happy. This is my top ten of reasons I don’t drink. If you are thinking about it, or even cutting down then this might be of interest....
10. No more hangovers. No explanation needed.
9. More time. My days used to pretty much finish a 5pm, earlier at the weekend.
8. Weight - it’s so hard not to replace alcohol with sugary snacks but that does change. It’s not just the calories from alcohol, but the very poor food choices I made when drinking (I still miss a filthy kebab though)
7. No self loathing. I’m finally out of the trap of hating and judging myself. Making and breaking promises on a daily basis.
6. I’m a nicer person - that’s for others to judge but I think I am. I’m certainly much nicer to myself and about myself.
5. Money. The difference is phenomenal. I drank at least a bottle of wine a night and beers too (as an aperitif) My wine spend was between £8 - £10 per bottle. I was treating myself. Every. Single. Night.
4. Health. I remember blaming my flare ups of gastritis on spicy fajitas, my dull skin on the wrong moisturiser, my lack of sleep on stress and work. None of this was true.
3. New experiences. I will try just about anything now. Cheese Crawling, surfing, weightlifting, drinking so many new AF drinks. I’m not bound by time or travel. I can drive anywhere. Ubers are a thing of the past.
2. Learning to live with my feelings and thoughts. Not easy, but now I don’t block them out. I walk with them instead of drinking to try and pretend they aren’t there. I’m treating them as friends, not enemies.
1. Being present. I no longer wish my time away. I am here and available for every single moment. Good and bad. #onelife #bepresent #soberseptember #soberinspiration #soberlife #alcoholfreelife